Tool: Observing with the class traffic technique
Record the movement patterns of the teacher and/or 1 or 2 students. You can record just the physical movements or also the type/reason for the movements.
- Create a map of the classroom
- Create a legend to describe the types of movements (if desired)
___ Teacher movement
----- Directed student movement
+++ Non-directed but purposeful student movement
=== Non-directed and non-purposeful student movement
CLASS TRAFFIC Teacher: Lori K. Lesson: SSR Date: 3/15/04 Observer: Barb J.
- Examine teacher’s movement around classroom
- Examine individual students’ movements around and in and out of classroom
- Examine locations in the classroom that get high and low amounts of traffic