Paraphrasing is a technique in which the listener restates what the speaker has said to him or her.
Paraphrasing allows the mentor to:
- Show interest in what the beginning teacher has to say
- Focus on the beginning teacher’s ideas
- Clear up misunderstandings
- Communicate acceptance
- Model an important element of professional dialogue
- Listen to the speaker carefully
- Focus on the key ideas of what s/he is saying
- Restate what you understand the speaker to have said
Paraphrasing sounds like:
- So you’re feeling frustrated at the amount of time it is taking you to plan.
- The parent left you four messages on your voice mail!
- It sounds like classroom management is your biggest concern at this point.