Sample brochure to families (1st grade)
A Memo from the Teacher
As a mother, I understand the concerns and hopes that a parent has for her or his child. I treat all of my students as if they were my own children, guiding them as they start out in their academic careers. Safety of their mind and physical well-being is my top priority. My students are challenged to develop and grow into responsible young people. Only positive reinforcement and encouragement are used in my classroom.
First grade is a big step for them and for you. It means being at school all day. It means new friends. It means more independence and more choices for them to make on their own. With your support, we can make first grade a wonderful experience for your child.
You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
in any direction you choose.
Background and Experience
- Masters in Literacy at Michigan State University (In progress)
- BA in Elementary Education (MSU, 1999)
- Minors in History and Spanish
- 12 credits in Curriculum (MSU, 2000)
- 5th-grade teacher (2001-2006, Durand)
- Summer school lead teacher (2003, Durand)
- 4th-grade teacher (2000-2001, Grand Blanc)
- 3-4-5 multi-age intern (1999-2000, Flint)
- 2-3 multi-age student teacher (1997-1998, East Lansing)
- Guest teacher pre K-8 (1994-1999)
To provide individualized instruction to each of my students so that they may continue on as proficient and positive learners!
Peek into My Classroom
(In accordance with the Michigan Grade Level Expectations for 1st Grade)
Students need to bring:
One box of facial tissue
Sanitizer wipes (like Clorox)
Students DO NOT need:
Trapper keepers or binders
- Please check your child's "Everyday Folder" for important notes/info
- Remember to send transportation changes/other notes to me via the "Everyday Folder"
- Student will receive a "bee" (stamp) for each that he or she follows Mrs. Schmuhl's "5 Bees of Behavior"