Reflecting on a sample mathematics lesson
Use this link to go to the Sample secondary math lesson. Read this lesson alone or with a colleague. Then use the questions below to consider what issues this new teacher faced as she tried to implement her lesson:
- What do you think this teacher might have done to prepare for this lesson?
- How might these actions have impacted student learning?
- What sort of tasks did she use?
- How were they ordered?
- What pedagogical moves did she make?
- Did these support or hinder student learning?
- Do you think she met her lesson objective?
- Did the students understand?
- If you were to teach a follow-up lesson to this one, what might you do?
After discussing the sample lesson, you might try applying these same questions after observing the class of a colleague.