List of resources
About classroom management
- Weinstein, C.S., & Mignano, A.J. Jr. (2003). Elementary classroom management: Lessons from research and practice. Boston: McGraw-Hill
- Weinstein, C.S. (2003). Secondary classroom management: Lessons from research and practice. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Brophy, J.E. (1998). Motivating students to learn. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Cohen, E.G. (1994). Designing groupwork: Strategies for the heterogeneous classroom. New York: Teachers College.
About engaging communities
- Barton, A. C., Drake, C., Perez, J. G., St. Louis, K., & George, M. (2004). Ecologies of parental engagement in urban education. Educational Researcher, 33(4), 3-12.
- Cahvkin, N. F. (Ed.) (1993). Families and schools in a pluralistic society. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Edwards, P. A. (2004). Children’s literacy development: Making it happen through school, family, and community involvement. Boston: Pearson.
- Edwards, P. A. (1993). Parents as partners in reading: A family literacy training program, Second Edition. Chicago: Children’s Press.
- Epstein, J. L. (1987). Parents’ reactions to teacher practices of parent involvement. Elementary School Journal, 86(3), 277-293.
- Epstein, J. L. (1995). School/family/community partnerships: Caring for the children we share. Phi Delta Kappan, May, 701-712.
- Epstein, J. L., & Salanis, K. C. (2004). Partnering with families and communities. Educational Leadership, 61(8), 12-18.
- Heath, S. B. (1983). Ways with words: Language, life, and work in communities and classrooms. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.
- Howard, G. R. (1999). We can’t teach what we don’t know: White teachers, multiractial schools. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Huseth, Melissa. (2001). "The School-Home Connection: Using Technology to Increase Parent-to-Teacher Communication." Learning and Leading with Technology 29.2, 6-9, 16-17.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (1994). Dreamkeepers: Successful teachers of African American children. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Murrell, P. C. (2001). The community teacher: A new framework for effective urban teaching. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Swap, S. M. (1993). Developing home-school partnerships: From concepts to practice. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Vopat, J. (1994). The parent project: A workshop approach to parent involvement. York, MN: Stenhouse.
About planning instruction
Websites for lesson plan formats
Sample lessons K-12, across content areas
About leading discussions
About assessment of student learning
- Burns, D., & Purcell, J. (2001). Tools for Teachers. Educational Leadership, v. 59, n. 1, 50-52.
- Drake, S. M. (1998). Creating integrated curriculum: Proven ways to increase student learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- McTighe J., & Thomas, R. (2003), Backward Design for Forward Action. Educational Leadership, V. 60, N. 5, 52-55
- Wiggins, G. (1998). Educative assessment: Designing assessments to inform and improve student performance. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (1998). Understanding by Design. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Zeichner, K., & Wray, S. (2001). The teaching portfolio in U.S. teacher education programs: What we know and what we need to know. Teaching and Teacher Education, v. 17, 613-621.
- Zemelman, S., Daniels, H., & Hyde, A. (1998). Best practices: New standards for teaching and learning in America’s schools (Second Edition). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.