Assisting in the Computer Center
Thank you for volunteering to help in our Computer Center. These are the items that we will discuss at tonight's brief meeting:
Computer Center rules:
- No food or drink is allowed.
- Students log in with assigned password and log out when finished (but leave computer on).
- Quiet talking about assigned tasks is allowed.
- Use of the Internet is restricted to completing assigned task.
- Students fill out ‘trouble shooting form’ or hardware/software problems, and leave in box near door
Students are familiar with:
- Computer Center rules
- Software: Microsoft Word, Power Point, Inspiration, Excel
Students typically have an assigned task they will be working on, with written directions for its completion. Examples of assigned tasks:
- Use demographic data for urban voter participation found at [website] to create an Excel spreadsheet. Then create two different types of graphs that would help your family understand the data.
- Create a Power Point presentation that will assist you in convincing your classmates to volunteer for a school project.
- Write a letter to your state representative about a topic that you are concerned about.
How you can help:
- Help clarify expectations for assigned task
- Help brainstorm ideas for completing task
- Help students locate online resources
- Demonstrate new features of software to students
- Read and respond to students’ drafts to help them think about strengths and weaknesses
- Remind students of Computer Center rules