Janelle wonders about active learning
Janelle, a first year teacher, came away from her staff orientation meeting with a mixture of excitement and anxiety. Finally, she was going to have the opportunity to implement many of the lessons and ideas from her teacher-training courses and student teaching experience. Janelle felt certain that she would create a classroom environment where students were engaged and learning. However, she felt a bit concerned about how she would determine whether her students were learning what she had intended.
Tools that might be useful
To talk about
- The importance of setting clear objectives
- What specific behaviors would indicate that learning has occurred?
- How different learning styles play out in performance tasks
- The difference between engaged and educative
- Are there teachers in the building who effectively assess active learning whom Janelle could observe?